Monday, September 22, 2014

with a roach on top


cafeteria fruit cocktail with a roach on top
postcard


Canned Fruit Cocktail:  Normally edible - I hadn't eaten this sort of thing in years.  I prefer to butcher a fresh pineapple.

The saddest thing was parts-is-parts-breaded-and-fried.  Chickens (I assume) should not live to die and be turned into this clusterf*ck of a meat product.
I have been a pescatarian since I was 27, for over a decade.  Before that, I was a strict, dairy-free vegetarian for a decade.  I think people should have a choice in their diets, but I do not think anyone should eat the low grade food described above.

Every mealtime, in December 2012 at Alliance Health Center, I looked forward to see what was hiding beneath the lid of the gigantic food tray labeled with my name.  For some reason these food trays are over 2 foot wide, making it an exercise in strength training for the smallest version of me to carry to my room.  The only joy came twice during my stay:  banana pudding.  There were real bananas!  
I craved avocados for weeks.  I fantasized eating avocado sushi.  I just wanted simple, recognizable food.

The cockroach just happened to be inside a closed-lid food tray, the main meal after my mother attempted to explain her version of my diet to the kitchen and the dietician met with me without a notepad to take notes.  Coincidence?  Sure, why not?  It's the South; roaches are part of life.
Curiously, every single tray is marked with a slip of paper with your name and a whole long list of optional diets that I assume the kitchen offers to someone?  I'm sure they honor a diabetic diet, at least.

Regular
Diabetic
Cardiac
Vegetarian
Dairy-Free


Anyway, anyone else have a childhood into adulthood dislike of jello?

No comments:

Post a Comment